With colder weather settling in, we are craving slow cooked, hearty meals and using a crockpot you can put a delicious meal on the table easily. Today I am sharing a delicious pulled pork recipe that we often enjoy. While it may be easier to pour a bottle of barbecue sauce over top of pork loin, the ingredients in bottled barbecue sauce can be suspect; artificial colours, flavours, high fructose corn syrup and msg among them. Why use a product which has undesirable ingredients?
If I am going to use canned tomatoes, I always use those preserved in glass jars. That goes for spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, etc. Cans are lined with plastics which contain endocrine (hormone) disrupting substances like BPA and BPS,and because tomatoes are acidic, they pull more plastic out of the lining. So steer clear of these!
Here is the recipe:
Crockpot Barbecued Pulled Pork
- 2 pork tenderloins
- 1 - 24 oz jar of strained tomatoes or passatta
- 1 or 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp vinegar (I use cider vinegar, but white vinegar works just as well)
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chipotle pepper powder (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1 tsp salt (if there isn't salt in the tomatoes)
- pepper to taste
Pour the tomato sauce into the crockpot, add spices, mix to combine. Add sliced onion, spreading to cover the bottom and place pork tenderloin on top.
Cook on low for 4-5 hours until pork is tender and pulls apart easily with two forks. Pull pork apart and serve with your favourite side dishes.