If you are lactose intolerant, you may feel that you are missing out when it comes to ice cream, but you don't have too. A couple of weeks ago I came across this recipe at Comfy Belly and knew I had to try it! It received rave reviews from my family. This ice cream is smooth, creamy, delicious and easy to make. While the dairy free aspect is appealing, the list of simple ingredients is also very desireable. The ice cream we buy in the store usually contains ingredients that aren't recognizeable or natural and a lot of sugar.
Adapted from Comfy Belly:
Chocolate Ice Cream Ingredients (makes about a pint of ice cream)
- 2 cans of coconut milk (preferably organic so it is preservative-free)
- 3/4 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla
Nut Butter Ingredients
- 1/4 cup of unsalted almond butter, peanut butter, or other nut/seed butter
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt (optional or less of it)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- a drizzle of honey
- Place all the ice cream ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the cold mixture in an ice cream maker and follow ice cream make instructions.
- While the ice cream is being made, mix the the nut butter ingredients in a small saucepan over a low flame until blended (not very long).
- When the ice cream is just about ready, drizzle the nut butter mixture into the ice cream maker and it will spread into the ice cream.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer for about 15 minutes and then serve. Or, eat it like soft serve right out of the ice cream maker.